Sheep farming in India is one of the traditional occupations of some people of India. People of some regions are raising sheep as domestic animal for fulfilling family nutrition demand and business purpose from the ancient time. Sheep is a small sized calm animal and grows rapidly. And the raising system is very easy and simple.
Indian climate is very suitable for setting up sheep farming business in India. Sheep farming require little investment and we can get the returns of investment within a very short period.
Sheep farming in India can be a great source of handsome income for the marginal and landless farmers. There are numerous sheep breeds are available in our country. And many people are taking the opportunities of sheep farming business.
However, here we are describing the main advantages of sheep farming in India and the steps for starting this business domestically or commercially.
Advantages of Sheep Farming in India
Sheep farming business is very profitable. It is a great business idea for the marginal and landless farmers to earn some extra income. The main advantages of sheep farming in India are listed below.
- Sheep are strong animal and well adopted to environment.
- They require less care and management.
- Rate of sheep meat in India is increasing day by day.
- You can produce various types of products from sheep. They are suitable for wool, skins, meat, manure and milk production.
- On an average a female sheep can give birth of 1-2 kids per delivery.
- Sheep require less place for living. In domestic rearing you can keep your sheep with other livestock animals. But for commercial production you must have to build a house or shelter for them.
- Labor costs for sheep farming in India is also very low.
- Sheep can survive by eating various types of grasses, weeds, plants, spinach, roots, plant roots and different types of low quality foods.
- Sheep do not damage the plants like goats while eating.
- They also helps the farmer by eating unwanted plants.
- Their production is not for a certain period. They continuously produce valuable wool, meat, skin and manure throughout the year.
- Sheep meat has a huge demand and there are no religious taboos of consuming sheep meat in India.
- Sheep are considered as economical converter of grasses and green plants into valuable meat and wool.
- Sheep dung is a great fertilizer. We can also maximize our crop production by using sheep dung in our crop field.
- Domestic sheep farming in India can create some extra income opportunities for the poor people, students and women.
- Commercial sheep farming business can create new employment opportunity for the unemployed educated people. Thus the unemployed educated people can earn their livings through sheep farming and contribute the country national income.
- Easy bank loan for sheep farming business is available in India.
- Along with those advantages, there are many advantages of sheep farming in India.